Saw Black Panther Friday night! Here are my thoughts in the typical Pros/Cons format.
• Michael B. Jordan was excellent as Killmonger. Easily the best performance in the film despite the other Academy Award winning actors who appear in it. It was powerful even making me tear up during a couple parts. However I do wish he was developed more earlier in the film. He and Vulture are my 2 favorite MCU villains thus far. Loki is just...criminally overrated.
• Andy Serkis kills it as Klaw. Is this a surprise? No. The guy is outstanding in everything.
• Self contained and world building. No unnecessary references to previous MCU films nor unwelcome cameos from other MCU characters. No forced and misplaced humor either.... and these shouldn’t qualify as pros but they’re still ing to see in an MCU film.
• Musical score not just the soundtrack was actually...good? ...in an MCU film? Yeah. I thought the African themed percussion conveyed tension and anticipation very well.
• Many people say this movie had pacing issues. Not for me. I actually found it to be one of the better paced comic book films as of late.
• Sloppy 3rd act CGI.
• A pretty major character in the Black Panther universe gets killed off in a quick unsatisfying manner. If you’ve seen it you know. However I can’t be too mad as it did serve to propel the story forward. Still it wasn’t totally necessary.
• It’s cookie cutter. Very predictable. Not too many things you won’t anticipate.
• T’Challa recovered from a major setback FAR too easily and quickly to an unconvincing degree. If you saw the film this weekend you probably know what I’m referencing.
Verdict 8/10. My 5th favorite MCU film after Iron Man Winter Soldier Civil War and GOTG. 1 hour ago